Dear Sailing Enthusiast,
It is time to register for the Summer 2018 Junior Sailing Program!
Please click on the registration tab above and follow the directions. You will receive an email confirmation on your enrollment.
Although registration is done online, payment* must be mailed to the OYC mailing address, P. O. Box 161, Orient, NY 11957.
*All non-members must be sponsored by a club member before registration. If you need a sponsor, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will arrange one for you.
*Please be advised that due to space constraints, Opti sailors are often asked to double or even triple up on Optis. A spot in camp is not a guarantee of a private spot on the Opti rack. We suggest waiting to purchase your own boat until we know our storage availability. We will help families with pairings so that everyone has a boat at the dock.
As per last year:
1) The program is open to children who are at least 8 years old as of their first day of the program. Any child who is new to the program will have to provide proof of age. A swim test will be administered on the first day.
2) The enrollment will be for member children first and then non-member children.
3) There are limited spaces in our program and preference will be given to members and previous participants in our program. All others will be considered on a first come/first served basis.
4) You may enroll your child for either a four-week session or an eight-week session.
5) Classes will be held Monday thru Thursday (Friday for advanced classes), and each class session is 2 ½ hours per day with the exception of the 420 Racing Class.
6) There are no club owned Optimists. Each child enrolled in an Opti program must have access to an Optimist. Due to storage space constraints sailors may be asked to double up. Optimist ownership and class registration does not guarantee a spot on the storage rack.
7) The instructors will decide your child’s class assignment based upon last year’s instructor evaluations and class sizes.
Member Registration Opens February 1, 2017
Kick-off BBQ and Introduction to Instructors Sunday June 24
First Day of Sailing Program Monday June 25
Last Day of Program Thursday August 16
Hodge Podge Friday August 17
Award Ceremony and Dinner Saturday August 18
Tentative Class Schedule:
- Classes will be Monday thru Thursday from June 25th to August 16th.
- The sessions will begin June 25th (for 4 week or 8 week session) OR July 23rd (for 4 week session) only.
- Instructors will place the children into one of three time slots based on capability: 9:00am – 11:30am, 12:00noon – 2:30pm or 3:00pm – 5:30pm. Depending on class size, the start time may be altered slightly.
- Please remember that instructors and the club are only responsible for the junior sailors during class time. Swimming off the dock before or after class is at your own risk, which is posted at the club, and we encourage parents to pick up their children immediately after class or to stay and supervise play. Many of our sailors transport themselves to and from camp, but please remember that swimming after class is at your own risk and there are no club lifeguards. Thank you in advance for keeping this in mind.
If you have any questions please email us at Orientjrsailing@gmail.com
Elizabeth Gordon & Cindy McKinney