A few words about the Lightning:
- 75 years ago the Lightning was designed by Sparkman & Stephens as an affordable family day-sailor and racing boat. Since then more than 15,540 hulls built for 130 fleets in the US and 17 different countries, the Lightning class is the oldest and best organized one design sailing organization in the world. The boats retain their value and their competitiveness.
- Some of the best sailors in the world sail the Lightning.
- The boat is one of the best crew trainers on the water today.
- The Lightning has been sailed in the Long Island Sound area for 75 years and in Orient for at least 50 years (note the perennial trophy in the clubhouse)
- Currently there are five boats in the Orient Fleet and we are always looking for new members, no experience necessary.
- Contact George Koch, Rachel Duell, James Morton or Richard Gluckman for more information.